Why is your product expensive relative to others.
Expensive is a relative term but as they say “you get what you pay for”. What do we do and is it any different than anyone else? You be the judge. Here is what happens behind the scenes.
- Certification is painful, expensive, time consuming, laborious and requires deep technical expertise. The Solus plant undergoes regular unannounced audits by the certification lab to verify what we are doing and our testing procedures and paper trails are in order. Each and every fire pit we make must be burn tested and checked for ignition, leaks and performance.
- We use brass burners – not anodized pan metal burners so we can give you a 25 year warranty (with the purchase of an all weather cover) on the burners. Best in the business
- Our brass “top side” burners means that our fire is projected up and out (therefore efficient) and does not lose heat out of the bottom. It is why you can use our fire pits on wood decks – many burners and metal fire pits cannot be used on a wooden deck due to heat being directed into the bottom. The amount of BTUs is only relevant if it burns at close to 100 % efficiency. We design our own burners to maximize heat to provide maximum customer experience.
- We design, fabricate and continuously improve our designs based on constant direct customer feedback. As we handle our own customer and technical service calls, direct feedback is the most important thing we do.
- We offer ten different colors with no difference in price
- Depending on stock levels and customer urgency we can ship within 1-6 weeks depending on project necessity.
- We offer hardwood table tops for our Hemi 26″ and 36″ bowls and our Firebox 30″. We design for both form and function.
- We offer bio fuel ( ethanol ) and a propane tank table for unusual plumbing situations.
- Electronic versions offer adjustable flame height regulation– a unique Solus feature
- Options including hardwood table tops, drinks rings, covers that fit, adjustable electronics all designed and made by Solus – we know our products.
- Solus has incorporated a recycled fly ash into its mix designs and has an active recycling and sustainability program with 75% of our byproducts recycled.
- Firestone – made to mimic riverstone – specifically made for Solus and is included in your purchase – Safety plays a large part in our philosophy. As an option we can sell additional firestone for that rock effect.
- Our Solus pits are finished by hand which creates the inimitable Solus fire pit each and every time – they are not mass produced by robots or overseas low cost labour factories.
- We build our products for tough Canadian climates and have thousands of fire pits in the field – Built tough with elegant designs for people who appreciate quality and durability.
- Solus products leaving Vancouver are packed in museum quality crates and our ship rate has a 99.3% success rate. Our products are so well packed we have many testimonials raving about not just the product but the manner in which they are shipped.
- We represent ourselves – if you do have an issue in the field you call us – not a foreign call centre or clueless retailer who has no idea what they have sold you.
- Our testimonials speak for themselves – we have reviews on Houzz, trust pilot and many reference our price being worth it. Take a look!
“As a designer I frequently get asked for fire bowls/pits within landscapes. I find the Solus products to be beautiful, functional and of superb quality.”
“The solid brass burners will last unlike the cheaper thin stainless burners found on other fire pits”
“Of all the fire pits I looked at, this is the best designed, sleekest and most beautiful. I love it!”
Is the fire pit Certified as an Appliance and why should you care ?
It means that the burner inserted into the vessels or enclosure is also certified to CSA/ANSI standards and tested as such ( and CE in Europe ) .
Most fire pit companies buy an off the shelf burner simply insert a “certified UL or CSA” burner into their vessel which means the two have not been tested in relation to each other. This is changing due to regulatory and insurance changes in the field. Many states and provinces are introducing new code for fully certified fire pits as appliances. The proliferation of fire pits in big box retailers and on line has spawned a wave of regulatory and insurance changes and therefore the code and compliance of fire and fire pits in residential and commercial settings.
What is happening the world of fire pits that matters to you ?
In many jurisdictions the gas fitter or inspector has rejected burners that have been set into uncertified vessels or enclosures built on site. The gas fitter or inspector must sign off on the installation and will require the appliance to be certified not just the burner. States and provinces where we know this to be on the radar as of 2015 based on Solus fire pit inspections include: New York, Massachusetts, California, Minnesota, Washington, Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario. It is our anticipation that many other jurisdictions across North America will follow suit and reject non certified fire pits in the coming year.